Wednesday 5 July 2017

Top 5 Wednesday • Books Without Romance (#14)

"Books Without Romance"

I'm actually quite excited about this weeks topic as there are not many books that don't contain some sort of romance. I've come up with 5 books that I think fit into this category. Not saying these are books I highly recommend it's just these are the ones that popped into my head when I read the title and decided to stick with them.


Number One 

The Binding Song by Elodie Harper

So this is my current read and so far I'm loving it.
This book is written in third person and follows one main character as she tries to discover what's happening at the prison she works at. There is a little romance involved with her and her boyfriend but it's brief and is only there to build up the characters profile and background.





Number Two

The Doll's House by M. J. Arlidge

I read this book a few years back and really loved it. In fact I love this series. The 5th book wasn't the best if I'm honest but definitely one of my favourtie series'.
So when this topic came about I instantly thought of my nystery thriller type books mainly because their focus is on solving a crime or finding something out so there's not a lot of time to be getting caught up in any romance/love affair.

It's a great book if you're looking to start a mystery/crime series. Although this is the third book within this series.


Number Three

Baby Doll by Hollie Overton

This book is another one I really love. Its quite a short novel but it's great. This book does touch on past relationships but it's mainly the aftermath of a kidnapping.
If you haven''t already read this book I highly suggest you do it's a great story and it's super facisnating seeing the aftermath of a kidnapping rather than the during.




Number Four

This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

This book follows four different perspectives over the time period of around 52 minutes I believe. It's based around a school shooting where students are locked in one room whilst the shooter holds them hostage. 

This book does mention relationships but only very minor as it is mainly about the shooting. This book it pretty short so would recommend if you're interested.




Number Five 

Lighter Than My Shadow by

I bought and read this book within one day and fell in love with it. It's a memoir about eating disorders as well as touching on some other subjects such as rape. 
This book really touched me and I loved how all the art work was just a mix of black and white tones instead of actual colours.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment