Wednesday 17 August 2016

Top 5 Wednesday #9


This weeks topic for the Top 5 Wednesday meme is 'Favourite First Sentences'. For this I struggled a little with simply because not many first sentences of a book really jump out at me.  Nevertheless I still managed to come up with a few that I thought deserved to be mentioned. 

Note - None of these includes the prologue that can sometimes be found in books before the first chapter.

"Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed, presumably because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, ate infrequently, and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time t thinking about death."   

The Fault in our Stars by John Green. - This book is one of my favourtie of John Green's work as is it of many other people. I picked this book simply because it's me all over. I don't exactly think about death but I do spend WAY more time in my room reading and not socializing or getting out and about than I should at 18 years old. I just felt I related to this a lot and not only that but this made me intrigued from the start.


"I didn't stop giving hand jobs because I wasn't good at it. I stopped giving hand jobs because I was the best at it" 

The Grownup by Gillian Flynn - I choose this book simply because this line was so unusual and to me it was quite funny. The main character of this book clearly must be very confident and this book was definitely different which I liked. I thought there was a sense of humor if you read between the lines and of course made me want to read more.

"If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you are better off reading some other book." 

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snickett - I feel this line is just perfect. it's straight to the point and even in a children's book it's just super effective. It makes you wonder why it doesn't have a happy ending like so many other normal classic stories. I also really enjoyed this book when I read it and love the series of unfortunate events series. It's also not something you would find on the first page of a children's book which I actually really like. 


"Here is the boy, drowning."

More than This by Patrick Ness - This line just makes you want to read more already and find out what's happening don't you think? I think I just like started sentances that have that element of mystery to them. This definitely has a lot of mystery to it as does the whole book. 


"I've been locked up for 264 days." 

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - This is the first book in the Shatter Me trilogy which I absolutely adored. I like the element of knowing that she has been locked up straight from the first line. If you have not read the synopsis then you would clearly want to read on which a lot for the time I try not to read the synopsis, if a book is being talked about on youtube or people's blogs or Instagram etc a lot then I will end up buying it without knowing what it's about and just dive into it. I feel this line would be great for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment