Tuesday 31 October 2017

Carrie by Stephen King : Book Review


Title  :  Carrie

Author  :  Stephen King

Format  :  Paperback

Length  :  290 Pages

Rating  :  ★ ★ ★ ★

Carrie knew she should not use the terrifying power she possessed... But one night at her senior prom, Carrie was scorned and humiliated just one time too many, and in a fit of uncontrollable fury she turned her clandestine game into a weapon of horror and destruction...



I can finally say I have read a Stephen King novel and guys let me just tell you, it feels amazing! I'm not sure what made me want to read a King novel so bad and why it feels so good to have done so but I'm actually super pleased with myself haha! 

This book is a little difficult to explain without ruining it so I'm not going to tell you guys a lot in case you haven't read it. It basically follows different perspectives and reads almost like an essay in some ways due to there being continuous referencing throughout. I thought that was a cool touch that just added a lot more to the feel of the story. It's main focus is about the little events leading up to prom night and then the main focus itself being what takes place on prom night and how this young girl Carrie is involved in the madness.

I will be honest and say that when I started this book I thought it was going to be way too complex for me. I genuinely thought I wasn't going to be able to understand the plot or anything that was happening, and that made me sad because how badly I wanted to read one of King's novels, so with that in mind I pressed ahead and continued turning the pages. I was a little overwhelmed with the style of writing in this book and I think that's what threw me off at first but after around 40 pages I really got into the story and I couldn't put it down. I think I could have easily finished this book within one day and the only reason why I didn't was because I had to look after my newphew for a lot of the time. 

I was saying to my boyfriend that this is the first horror book I have ever read and it's totally different from watching a horror film. I think a horror book mainly reads like a thriller which is maybe why I liked it so much. Whereas when you watch a horror movie what draws you in and gets you scared is what your witnessing with your own eyes and the music and sound effects that go along with it. 

I can honestly say I will 100% be picking up another Stephen King book in the future to see what else he has to offer in his wonderful writing. It was honestly a very beautifully written book. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because the first 30/40 pages I didn't know what I felt in regards to liking or disliking the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment