Monday 16 October 2017

Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella : Book Review


Title  :  Finding Audrey

Author  :  Sophie Kinsella

Format  :  Paperback

Length  :   286 Pages

Rating  :  ★ ★

An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen-year-old Audrey’s daily life. She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr. Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother’s gaming teammate, she is energized. She connects with him. Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she’s never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family.

I'm writing this book review after two months of reading it so apologies if my brain is a little fuzzy.

I can tell you now that I did not like this book at all. I don't even know why I gave it 2 stars if I'm honest. I feel like this book was one of the reasons I started to fall into a reading slump.

This book follows our main character Audrey as she suffers with anxiety in her everyday life. She wears these black sunglasses everywhere even in the house because she doesn't feel comfortable making any sort of eye contact with anyone.

Now I understand this book is about mental health which I honestly would never make fun of or put down in anyway but lets just remember this is a fictional book so having my doubt with this is not dissing the mental illness in anyway whatsoever!!! Moving on... I didn't exactly enjoy much about this book as I felt it was more an observational encounter of her mum and older brother than it was about her actual life and illness. Of course you could see the main presence of the story was in fact Audrey and her illness but I just found it to be a little... boring? dull?

Not a lot happens in this book which makes me mad because I was so excited to get into this as I had heard a few great things about it but unfortunately it disappointed me. Pretty much all the character did my absolute head in even Audrey, and I get that anxiety is a horrible thing to live with trust, but I still really disliked her as a character.

No comments:

Post a Comment