Wednesday 25 October 2017

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, Anjali Singh (Translator) : Book Review


Title  :  Persepolis 

Author  :  Marjane Satrapi, Anjali Singh (Translator)  

Format  :  Paperback

Length  :  343 Pages

Rating  :  ★ ★ ★

The Story of a Childhood and The Story of a Return


The intelligent and outspoken child of radical Marxists, and the great-grandaughter of Iran's last emperor, Satrapi bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country. Persepolis paints an unforgettable portrait of daily life in Iran and of the bewildering contradictions between home life and public life. This is a beautiful and intimate story full of tragedy and humour - raw, honest and incredibly illuminating.



I found this book to be a pretty easy read (well dur chlo it's a graphic novel). 

I've been in a huge reading slump lately as you probably already know and I didn't know what I was in the mood to read or even if I wanted to read at all. I decided I wanted to push myself to get back into it but not start with something too daunting that would put me off so I decided to pick this one up. 

I had been wanting to read this for ages and I kind of glad that this was the book to get me out of my reading slump because, like I said I had been wanting to pick it up for a while. Anyway, I started this book not knowing anything about it and as I was in a reading slump I wasn't too interested when I first started reading it. However as I got maybe 20/30 pages in I realised I was getting super into the story.

So this book is a memoir which I didn't know until reading the book which was surprisingly nice for me. I thought it was just a graphic novel but it was so much more interesting. This book is set in Iran and is mainly about how Marjane coped and lived during the Islamic revolution. It's a story about love and loss and friendship and hatred and all the things in between. It really opens your eyes and makes you realise how much you really have and how lucky you are. 

I will say the main character (also the author) did kind of annoy me throughout as I didn't agree with many of the decision she made or how she acted. However I now realise that it was all apart of how she coped with everything and it's a great thing that she can reflect on herself and her past in that way knowing now that some actions were 'right' and some were 'wrong'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment