Monday 25 July 2016

I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid - Book Review




Title : I'm Thinking of Ending Things

Author : Iain Reid

Publisher : Text Publishing

Original Publication Date : June 14th 2016

Length : 208 pages

Rating : ★ ★ ★

Shop : Book Depository | Amazon 

Synopsis : Jake and his girlfriend are on a drive to visit his parents at their remote farm. After dinner at the family home, things begin to get worryingly strange. And when he leaves her stranded in a snowstorm at an abandoned high school later that night, what follows is a chilling exploration of psychological frailty and the limitations of reality.


Iain Reid’s intense, suspenseful debut novel will have readers' nerves jangling. A series of tiny clues sprinkled through the relentlessly paced narrative culminate in a haunting twist on the final page.

Reminiscent of Michael Faber’s Under the Skin, Stephen King’s Misery and the novels of José Saramago, I’m Thinking of Ending Things is an astonishing and highly original literary thriller that grabs you from the start—and never lets go.




This book was so freaky to say the least. I'm actually still confused as what even happened throughout this book. 

I started reading this not really knowing what to expect considering I'd never heard anyone talk about this book and didn't even bother researching anything on it. I wanted to go into this book knowing nothing because I feel that way there are no expectations on what to really expect. 

I have to be honest just reading the first 30 pages I was actually so scared I had to put the book down. It freaked me out so much. I think it might have been to do with the fact I was home alone and it was like 10:30pm so it was pretty dark outside. The after carrying on reading it started to become less scary and just kind of boring with all these random pieces of dialogue and information thrown in which kind of ruined the story for me. 

The story basically follows a boy named Jake and his girlfriend on a road trip to visit his parents. The story is told from the girls perspective and has really weird feels to most of the people and surroundings they find themselves encountering. I didn't really enjoy the characters that much I thought they were boring and didn't have much to them. The story was also a little flat running for me. However I gave it three stars because there were more than a few times that I felt on edge and couldn't wait to read what was going to happen next. This book is definitely a page turner.

As got to the end of the book I found that I didn't know what was happening. I feel now that I've had a little time to think more about it I'm starting to piece it together more but it still really threw me off and kind of ruined the experience for me. It was a bit of a bummer for me because I still feel like I haven't had closure. 

I probably would have given this book two stars if it hadn't made me feel so spooked out but as it did have quite an effect on me i had to give it three stars even if I didn't enjoy the characters that much. 

My mum is currently reading this book which she's enjoying so far but she is only 55 pages in haha.




No comments:

Post a Comment