Tuesday 13 September 2016

Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris : Book Review


Title  :  Behind Closed Doors

Author  : B.A. Paris

Length  :  351 pages

Rating  : ★ ★ ★

Synopsis  :  Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace.


He has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You might not want to like them, but you do. Though, you’d like to get to know Grace better.


But it’s difficult, because you realise Jack and Grace are never apart.

Some might call this true love. Others might ask why Grace never answers the phone. Or how she can never meet for coffee, even though she doesn’t work. How she can cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim. And why there are bars on one of the bedroom windows.

Sometimes, the perfect marriage is the perfect lie.




This book follows the perspective of a woman named Grace who meets a man named Jack and shortly after become a couple. Grace has a younger sister who is absolutely adorable and Jack accepts her and shows his love for her as well as Grace. Something goes wrong in Grace's life shortly after meeting Jack and the story flips back and forth between the present and the past of how it all started and before. 

I did not expect this books to be like it was. Honestly as dark as it was I didn't find it as dark as I had originally intended it to be and was actually somewhat disappointed with it. It is of course a disturbing book as it is most definitely a psychological game being played but there are no doubt a lot of darker books I have read before. Nevertheless I did enjoy it.

The writing in this book I found to be a little odd only because it seemed so formal than what I'm used to reading. However it was super easy to follow and the writing seemed to make me keep turning the pages and before I knew it I had finished the book. It was a very easy and fast read for me.

The one problem I had with this book is that there wasn't much character building which I crave so much from books. I also had problems where the author would go back on her word for instance with the incident with the puppy at first the puppy was only left with water so it wouldn't die of dehydration but then later in the book when it was mentioned again it was said the puppy died due to dehydration and I was a bit baffled by that. 

I did find Grace's younger sister Millie to be very clever despite her being the way she is which I found very interesting and also very important as I feel a lot of people portray people with disabilities as being kind of dumb when that's most definitely not always the case. 

Overall I did enjoy this book to some extent and it's worth a read as it was so quick and easy but the plot wasn't as well done as I'd hoped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment