Friday 19 August 2016

Baby Doll by Hollie Overton - Book Review



Title  :  Baby Doll

Author  :  Hollie Overton

Publisher  :  Century

Original Publication Date  :  June 30 2016

Length  :  288

Rating  :  ★ ★ ★ ★

Shop  :  Book Depository | Amazon




Synopsis  :  "You've been held captive in one room, mentally and physically abused every day, since you were sixteen years old.

Then, one night, you realize your captor has left the door to your cell unlocked.

For the first time in eight years, you're free.

This is about what happens next ...

Lily knows that she must bring the man who nearly ruined her life - her good-looking high-school teacher - to justice. But she never imagined that reconnecting with her family would be just as difficult. Reclaiming her relationship with her twin sister, her mother, and her high school sweetheart who is in love with her sister may be Lily's greatest challenge. After all they've been through, can Lily and her family find their way back after this life-altering trauma?

Impossible not to read in one sitting, Baby Doll is a taut psychological thriller that focuses on family entanglements and the evil that can hide behind a benign facade. "




This book follows the perspectives of Lily, her mum Eve, Lily's sister Abby and Lily's captor Rick. The story is about the aftermath of Lily's life once she's escaped the captivity of living in a basement with her 6 year old daughter for 8 years by a man named Rick. 

I went into this book knowing pretty much nothing about it. I picked it up on a whim hoping it was going to be good but didn't really have any expectations from it. I hadn't heard anyone talking about it which is surprising for me considering I watch youtube videos of book hauls and reviews all the time I usually pick up books I notice. But I am SO glad i picked up this nook simply because I loved it so much. 

I personally love reading from multiple perspectives in books which is something that majorly effected my rating with this book. I found each character so different yet all so gripping and I loved getting into the heads of all the different peoples especially Ricks. I feel like a lot of the time books like this are either told from the perspective of the victim themselves or from the perspective of someone who is in authority (e.g detective/police officer) so I found it really refreshing to read from other peoples perspectives and how it changed the lives of the people left behind as well as the victim. 

If you're looking for a good thriller book I would definitely check this out. It's definitely worth the read. Probably one of my favourite reads of this year so far. It's also such fast moving and the chapters are so short which I always finds helps me move through the book quicker than usual simply because I want to know what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment